Friday, October 8, 2021

Flooded Home Flood & House Flooding!

Check your insurance policy if it covers Flooding!

In the past few years water damage claims have become increasingly common and cover 50% of all home insurance claims. Most people think that they are covered for all kinds of water damage, but not all water damage is the same, below we have written a few common sources of water damage and how it is most commonly covered in most standard insurance policies. Water damage is often expensive and time consuming to deal with so knowing what you’re covered for can help take a lot of stress off you if it ever occurs. GTA Restoration has a qualified team that works with many insurance companies and property managers to help them get past this stressful time, you can see some of the insurance companies we commonly work with on our insurance claims page.

Does your insurance company cover water damage?

Water Damage:

Most property insurance includes coverage for accidental or any sudden water damage in your home. This would include any appliances leaking or overflowing as well as any water line breaks. If wind or hail damages your home and water is able to enter it to cause more damage this would cover that as well. One way to figure out if the damage in your home is considered water damage, is to think of how the water got there. In most cases if the water damage was caused by “clean water” and not from sewage or the ground than it is considered water damage.

If you experience a burst pipe or other accidental plumbing failures in most residential insurance policies it should be covered as long as it is reported in time. It is very important to turn off your water main supply and have someone check on your home regularly if you are on vacation or away from home for a while. If this is not done your property insurance policy might not cover your, and could deny any water damage caused by a frozen or burst pipe. You can speak to a broker to get further details regarding this and how frequently you should have someone check on your home.

Sewage Backup:

Unlike water damage, sewage backup refers to damage caused by “dirty water” coming from pipes, drains, eaves troughs, down spouts or your septic tank. This usually will happen if the city’s sewer system is overwhelmed by rain or snow.

You should talk to your insurance company to figure out if you are covered for this, in many cases you can add sewer backup coverage to your insurance policy for a small amount, compared to how much it would cost to repair.

Overland Flooding:

Overland flooding is when there is water overflow from a body of water and damage is caused to your property and/or vehicles. Currently no insurance in Canada will cover overland flooding, due to it only affecting a small portion of the population. Since it affects so little people there is not enough property owners to share in the cost of coverage.

It’s important to know your own insurance policy, in this article we go over the types of water damage that is commonly covered but we don’t know your exact policy. If you need help dealing with any sort of water damage or sewage backup GTA Restoration can help you. Our team is experienced not only in dealing with the damage but dealing with the insurance companies to make sure that you are fully covered.

Flooded Basement Home Flood House Flooding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flooding Toronto and Water Damage Restoration

Flooding Toronto and Water Damage Cleanup

Flooding Toronto and Water Damage Restoration

Toronto Flooding Cleanup

Toronto Flooding Cleanup Floods can cause extensive damage to your property. The flooding damage doesn't just occur during the flood ...